Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Undecided

So I had an OB appt today as well as an ultrasound afterwards. Whee!  I asked Dr. W what the plan is if I go into labor on my own, which is fairly likely considering my c-section isn't scheduled until 37w6d.  He said that is up to me.  He said since the c-section is already scheduled, I can just opt to go right to surgery upon getting to the hospital.  Or, he said, I could choose to attempt to deliver vaginally, something I have been thinking more about.  Baby B (the top one) has been breech the whole time, and appeared to be today as well based on the h/b location.  He said even with a breech baby #2, vag delivery is still a viable option. He said he would just ask that I would get an epidural (oh, twist my ARM), since it might take some extra handiwork on his part to get the breech baby out, which would be painful for me.   I asked how many of these situations result in c-section anyway b/c the 2nd baby gets "stuck" (etc, etc).  He said not many, it's usually not a big issue.  This seems contradictory from what he told me early on, which is that the 2nd baby often "experiences trauma" and women end up with a c-section anyway, which played a part in my c-section decision.  He said that is more of a concern when baby B is larger than baby A.  That is the case with me, although baby A has been catching up, and they are only 2 ounces a part right now. (2.3 and 2.5, respectively). 

So more to think about.   Now I don't know what to do!  I know I don't WANT to recover from a c-section, but all I can compare it to in my head is my shitty, shitty recovery the first time. Obviously that isn't likely to occur again, especially since the babies will be small.  (Although Liam was only 6.11, so that wasn't why I tore so badly).  But if I have to have 'roids surgery anyway (*shudder*), then who the hell cares if labor is hard on them again? They are horrible as it is.... from walking.....and SITTING, so whatever! 

Then I went to the u/s and learned that they are both vertex (head down) now!!  Hmmm....... what to do..... obviously I don't have to decide right now.  We have to keep en eye on baby B's size and position, but I don't think I'm firmly on the c-section bandwagon anymore.   Does anyone have experience with both or know someone who does? The people I know who have done both just act like the c-section recovery was horrid, but people who have only had c-sections don't seem to think it was too bad!

Fluid levels are totally normal on both babies now, so I have no idea what the scary low reading from a few weeks ago was about.  Also, my cervix is still long and closed.   So I guess I'm in good shape!  Bring it, 3T, I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

7 comments:

addingtothepack said...

I have a friend who labored for 24+ hours (induction at 42 weeks) with her singleton and ended up having a c-section because they were just NOT progressing. The recovery was apparently pretty rough from being physically exhausted from the laboring and then trying to move carefully on fatigued muscles because of the c-section incision.

She was going to try a vaginal delivery of her twins if she went into labor naturally, but was going straight to c-section to avoid the fatigue/double whammy if she was facing being induced. In the end she went to 39 weeks (insane!) and had a scheduled c-section. She said the twins c-section recovery was a hundred times easier.

At this point I'm planning on the same approach and I had a relatively easy physical recovery from my vaginal birth with L.

Khaira said...

I have had both but both single babies...c-section was first...I really didn't want a c-section again...it was a combination of things (recovery, I was put out so fear of that) but that being said I had a difficult delivery the second time- pushed for 4 hours, traumatized bladder, 3rd degree tear, and the dreaded H's so recovery was actually kind of similar...some surprising things about c section was it still came with many of the delivery things on top of major abdominal surgery. I was also way more drugged up for the c-section for longer too and I think it impacted my milk

Lauren said...

I only have experience with vaginal delivery (and want nothing to do with a c-section, ever), so I'm not the target audience you're looking for input from:) But I think it's great both babies are in a good position for vaginal delivery - I personally would really want to give it a go then. Maybe you should look up twin vaginal delivery birth stories?

Cyndi said...

I was totally planning on a vaginal delivery for the birth of my twins and they moved all around throughout the pregnancy and finally were both head down when I went in for my 34 week ultrasound, I went into labor that next day and both babies had flipped and gone beech! So we ended up doing a c-section. I had two previous vaginal deliveries before the c-section, and they were long and dramatic so the c-section was kind of nice! The recovery was a little longer and more painful than I had anticipated, and it didn't help that I had to go back and forth from home to the nicu for six weeks. So, basically I would just suggest being open minded to whatever needs to happen! Good luck!

erika said...

Well, I was kinda' going through both. Was pushing /crowning for 7 hours with no epi (tried but didn't work) then ended up with a C-sec. The recoveries on both areas sucked. If I would have to make the decision, I would just keep my options open and cross the bridge when I get there. The 'getting the breach baby out manually' part though - that sounds almost as invasive as the c-ces to me. I hope time will help you to make the best plan for L&D.
You are doing a fantastic job so far!!!

Gemini Momma said...

I had to laugh when you said that part about c-section people always thinking c-section recovery's not that bad... My twin B was breech and the dr on duty wouldn't do a breech extraction so I got a c-section (plus severe pre-e will get you one of those, ahem) but my recovery seemed really quite easy-ish. I have nothing to compare it to though. :/ Tough decision... you never know though, circumstances may make the choice for you anyway!

Sarah said...

I have delivered twins both (two sets)by cesarean and Vaginally after cesarean, I'd try for another vaginal delivery in a minute. My recovery was so much better, even with tearing- I was home resting in my own bed in about 24 hrs.
With my c-section I had so much pain, then I had a post-op infection and ended up readmitted- it was a nightmare. If my babies hadn't been in NICU, I'm not sure how I would have physically been able to take care of them.
Good Luck on your decision, I'm glad your provider is giving you the option.