Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quiet

Not much new to report. Both babies are still in the NICU, but they are doing really well.  They are both eating at least 50% of their feedings from a bottle now, which has definitely improved. They need to do 100% for 48 hours before they can come home.  Today I was told Olive took 6 feedings straight from a bottle last night/early this morning, but she slept through things when we were there today. We have been told they are getting close, but we don't have an exact date.

D has been driving me back and forth. Luckily he hasn't had any offsite work this week, so he's been home to play driver for me!  Some days I have been at the NICU 4 or 5 hours, and some it's been more 1 or 2.  It's getting harder to leave them there, but yet I still know they are not ready to be at home unmonitored.

I have been attempting to pump some breast milk for them before going back on my MS meds, but it isn't going very well.  I seem to have pretty much zero supply.  I have been told that it could be because I'm not around them all day and night, because they came so early, or who knows.  I'm not going to stress about it too much though, as obviously it isn't their long term feeding plan.  It would be nice to have a little more to show from my pumping duties though!  At least they have gotten a little bit.... the nurses have told me it's better than nothing.  And the babies' doctor reassured me that my health is much more important than giving them a little breast milk.   So that made me feel better...but I'm going to stick with it a little longer to see if I can get a little bit more!

Here they both are, 1 week old.  Jude with D, and then Olive.   Still very tiny!


























4 comments:

Lauren said...

Such sweet babes... hope they continue to do well and get to come home soon!

Kari said...

They're beautiful!! And pumping for just 1 full term baby in the beginning is tough so I admire you for pumping for your twins right now. I had to take supplements the first few weeks with LD and he was born at 39w5d. I highly recommend ordering some lactation cookies, if nothing else having a cookie or two always made me feel better when I didn't pump quite as much as I was hoping for. Hope the twins are able to come home soon!!

Jules said...

I love the last photo of the 2 of you. So precious! I'm so glad you've been able to spend time with them, thanks to D's schedule.

Gemini Momma said...

Aw! Babies! Sounds like they're just feeder/growers at this point and doing their job well. Such sweet pics.