*Cue random Natalie Imbrulgia song from the '90s*
Obviously my weekly daycare bill was shocking to see! It's a damn LOT of money. But it still makes financial sense for me to work than not work. And plus? I don't want to stay home. If I did, I'm sure we could swing it. But.....*SIGH*. I really am not cut out to be a SAHM. I know some people love it. I am not one of those people. But it's also not like I have some super awesome high-powered job that gives me immense amounts of satisfaction. In fact, my job is pretty much boring as shit. I do just work 4 days/week. But still. Not a whole lot of super satisfying work going on around here. So..... being here is boring. Being home with babies is boring to me. But I don't want a crazy busy stressful job, because obviously. Whoah. So what the hell DO I want? I have no idea. I guess I should be thankful I have a decent-paying low-stress flexible job, and that my kids are being well taken care of. But I'm just waiting for the first round of the Daycare Crud sickness to set in with the babies, and it makes me so sad. I remember it well from Liam's first winter there. Constant sickness. Everyone said it would get better. It did. Now he has an immune system of steel, for the most part. But oh, they would be more "sheltered from the storm" at home. I know this. But my sanity would be at stake. Mama needs her sanity.
Speaking of sanity, D is traveling for work this week Yeah. For THREE days. There is no way I could swing things by myself with all 3 kids. I really think it would be physically impossible. His mom is staying with us, thank the lord. We may even be bonding a bit! Last night was a little rough, not going to lie, and the culprit was actually L. He is very much a daddy's boy these days and very much accustomed to his nightime routine heavily involving D. Holy hell was he not cool with "Meema" being there instead, even though he LOVES her. I thought for sure she would be perfectly distracting for him. Nope. A whole lot of bed time drama in my house last nigh!
So needless to say, being here at work is like a little vacay for me. Yay?
The babies are 12 weeks old this week. Olive usually gets up twice/night to eat still and Jude usually about once, so I guess that is good, but man, mama is ready for them to sleep through the night!
5 comments:
You didn't ask for advice, so I may be out of line here. . . but have you considered a nanny vs daycare? At least in our area, the cost of having a nanny for our twins was not that much more than paying for daycare for two babies, and you have three kids instead of two. The benefits are that the kids get sick less, meaning you miss less time from work, and our nanny also helps out with laundry, bottles and light housecleaning.
This option may not be feasible for you but something to think about if it is.
P.S. I don't love my job either, and like you, I don't think I'd make a great full-time SAHM. But it's a moot point 'cause I'm the primary wage-earner in our household.
I second the nanny suggestion -- I guess the only issue is if she gets sick or bails you'd be kind of stuck, but otherwise it's definitely a good option once you have that many kids to pay for in daycare.
Sorry I've been absent commenting ... we've got a lot going on here with L & J, just not quite ready to blog about it. Going a bit nuts slowly but surely, but hey, 4 2.5 yr olds will do that to you. Sigh.
Hey guys, we've definitely thought about the nanny route, however, we feel that Liam would be getting screwed in that deal. He is in a preschool setting now, and he gets the social interaction plus the learning (colors, letters, etc) curriculum. There is no way him being home with just 2 babies would be as beneficial for him. He would be bored and the nanny would be WORN OUT and spread thin, since they are at 2 very different stages of life. What we would love to do is nanny for the twins and "school" for him, but that is definitely not possible money-wise. I probably could pull the babies out on the day I'm home (the new daycare doesn't mandate full time I don't think), but I really need that day to get shit done and have some "me" time. Ah, money....gotta love it. Or not
You know I stay at home I'm sure, and my 2yo is sick constantly. Its insane and maddening. So SAHMing is no guarantee of health. My DH is 3 days into SAHPing with me here and he's going NUTS. Its actually pretty funny to watch. He keeps telling me how bored he is. How every day is a repeat of the day before. LOL
I second looking into a nanny, though do they make nannies who can handle 2 infants and a toddler alone? I need 2 people to keep my 2yo engaged and from tearing apart my house.
Post a Comment