Saturday, December 12, 2009

Shopping

So mix a LOT of remnants of the aforementioned snow storm plus holiday shoppers, and you have one large yule tide mess! I made the mistake of venturing to the mall today, and I wish that I hadn't. The streets are still a huge sloppy mess, and out of town drivers were aplenty. I was armed with some coupons though, and really wanted to find some maternity clothes. I have only bought 1 thing so far. I really don't fit into maternity yet, but with each passing week, it's becoming increasingly harder for me to make any of my regular pants look acceptable at work.

Speaking of, I must share this story. So. Friday at work, I had interviews, so I needed to dress up. I'd already worn my 2 lone decent pairs of dress pants earlier in the week, so I was kind of stuck. I ended up with a pair of pants that wouldn't button but had 2 separate button holes. I ended up doing the hair band trick, but needed to use 2 bands. It looked somewhat silly, so I had a black belly band on overtop. Of course I had to pee somewhat early in the day. Naturally. So I had to unhook myself from this whole corset-like contraption. So I did that and took care of business. I pulled up my pants and tried to put it all back together. But I couldn't find the 2 hairbands. Umm...I JUST had them. I assumed they fell to the floor. Nope. I looked in the toilet. Nope. Were they in the scrunched up belly band? Nope. I was perplexed. Is there a hairband fairy to mess with my already pregnancy-addled brain? Okay, time to move on. So I made do with just the belly band and made my exit. It continued to bother me the whole day. Seriously, I thought I was losing my mind. Uh yeah. I found the elastics about noon. They were ON MY WRIST. *SIGH*. Pregnancy brain at its finest!

So I ended up getting 3 shirts and 4 pairs of pants today, 2 were from the mall and 2 were from a high-end consignment shop. I must say, maternity pants are *really* ugly! Booo. I'm sure they will look better once I have more of a belly, but good lord, so not flattering! I am obviously not my svelte self these days, so jeans in general don't look like I would prefer. And seriously? Do they think pregnant women wear nothing but flats? A lot of the pants are so short! I am only 5'5"! Grrr! Okay, enough complaining about that. Sorry for the ranting!

Are you guys doing anything fun for New Year's Eve? We have plans to go out to dinner with my best friend and some other mutual friends. I thought I could handle the dinner portion of the evening, and then would obviously head home to bed rather than ring in the new year, as that is WAY past my bedtime. Well, I learned today the dinner reservations are at 9:00! Yikes! That really doesn't fit with my early-bird-special kind of schedule these days! I really can't imagine heading out at 9:00! I really don't want to be a big party pooper though, and I know D doesn't really want to just hang out at home for NYE. I guess I will have to suck it up! Hopefully I will be able to take a nap that day so I can last until dinner is done!

4 comments:

quadmom said...

I have been doing the hairband looped through the pants thing for a couple weeks now (b/c of the OHSS bloating). That's so funny that you do it, too!

I heard you can get cute maternity pants at Gap (my SIL told me) and they sell longer sizes online. I have no personal experience with this though!

We don't have any New Year's plans yet either -- one day at a time is all I'm trying to handle right now! I hope you can make it through such a late night!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found some maternity clothes. Sorry the pants are so fugly. Yea I imagine I will have a really hard time when/if I do get pregnant b/c I'm 6'1" so I would need long maternity pants which I'm sure are like finding a needle in a haystack. Yay! Least I don't have to worry about that now.

AL said...

Glad you found some maternity clothes - I've also heard Gap has some good options online.

We don't have any New Year's plans yet, we may just be lazy. I hope we'll be quietly celebrating something more than 2010 :-). We'll see...

Anonymous said...

OMG, I started on my quest for maternity clothes this weekend as well (sadly, at only 6weeks, I'm ashamed to say that I will likely need them in the next week or two) and they are hideous. I wish my favorite stores would carry them in the store and not just online. I have to try stuff on and I hate ordering hundreds of $$ worth of stuff only having to send it all back. It sucks.

Your hairband story is too cute :) Pregnancy brain is the worst!