Friday, July 20, 2012

The People

So part of the frustration we have been dealing with regarding Liam lately (well, really since about 18 months if we're being honest), is his struggle to communicate.  Now, I think he talks as well as most boys his age, although I could be wrong about that. He certainly isn't advanced in this area, but I think he does alright.  For the most part he is able to communicate what he wants, or after a couple of tries and a bit of probing, we can figure it out.   But when we can't, oh boy, look out. Meltdown central.   And it's usually over something really silly, like he's trying to tell us after 2+ years on this Earth sitting in the same place/chair at the dinner table, he suddenly wants to sit in the OTHER chair.  I mean, OBVIOUSLY, that's what he was trying to tell us, right?   No.   He clearly wanted to sit at the table, but when we tried to lift him up there (we have a bar height table), he freaked out.  So we would lower him back to the ground, and he would freak out.  So he wanted up, but he didn't want up.... you get it.  He couldn't figure out how to tell us he wanted to sit in a different chair.   A major tantrum ensued. This same type of scene plays out often.

Tonight at the dinner table, he started talking about what we could only understand to be "the people", and pointing frantically toward the living room.  He clearly wanted us to get something, but we had no idea what he meant by "the people". There are no other people who live here, clearly.  He was playing with a little truck at the time, and not eating his food (as per usual, although he doesn't normally have toys at the table).   He kept pointing, REALLY wanting "the people" to join us.  D got up then and was pointing at a few things, trying to locate it that way.  Finally in a frustrated state, D said "WHAT people? Do you SEE people right now?"  And Liam clearly said "Yes".   Then D was like "Um...I don't think that is the answer I was hoping for".  He is seeing people?  Uh oh!"  LOL!   But then Liam finally said "bathroom", and I gathered that he meant this little plastic dolls/"people" that came with some other toy (a bus?) that he plays with in the tub.  Once this was established, he was SO HAPPY!  He randomly wanted to play with those; no idea why....  Dude..... he was trying so hard to tell us.   *SIGH*. Toddlers are so weird.

And in other news, I passed my glucose tolerance test, so that is one less thing I need to worry about.  But my iron is evidently too low, so now I need to take supplements. Does anyone have experience with those? Are they going to make me constipated?  Because that is really not what I need right now!

6 comments:

Gemini Momma said...

Nice working passing the glucose test! The iron pills didn't give me any problems when I was pregnant, but I have heard they cause trouble with other people. Might just have to give it a go and see how lucky you are.

Toddlers ARE so weird!

Lauren said...

I was on iron supplements from the drugstore (on top of taking the iron in my prenatal vitamin) for over a year. They did make me constipated, and I was still very anemic. HOWEVER, I switched to taking the NOW brand of iron (found at health food stores) and my iron levels shot up SO fast and they don't make me constipated at all. The iron in those supplements is much more available for your body than the iron in drugstore brands. The iron in drugstore brands is literally made of ground up nails.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I take:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Supplements/Products-by-Category/Minerals/Iron/M002993.htm


As for the toddler talking thing... I can only imagine how much more difficult life with a toddler would be if he couldn't clearly communicate what he wants... My nephew had that issue, big time (still does, really at three), and he had many many many tantrums.

Lauren said...

Also, with that supplement I was only remembering to take it like every 2 or 3 days, and I still went from being very anemic to having amazingly high iron levels within a month and a half. I will never bother with another iron supplement, especially not one from a drugstore!

quadmom said...

Ughhh to toddler communication. Jude hates when I lie down on the ground so he usually bursts out sobbing ... here's our improvement: today he figured out to ask "hug? hug?" meaning I HAD to get up from the floor. Clever. Why does it matter if I lie down for one second?? Who knows.

I took SlowFe Iron when I was pregnant with the quads and had zero issues with constipation. I think it releases it slowly over the day (hence the name) so it doesn't hit you as hard.

quadmom said...

I should add I took those from about 12ish weeks (my first MFM appt) and never once had an issue with my iron.

Kari said...

I took VitronC and had no constipation issues last time. We have a 1 one word communicator over here. When we don't get what he's saying he screams at the top of his lungs. Good times.