Friday, May 31, 2013

Heads and Helmets, oh my.

So Olive finally was seen by the Neurosurgeon regarding her head shape yesterday.   He said he would consider the malformation moderate to severe, but was happy to see that it doesn't affect her forehead or front of head/face-that is all symmetrical. It is purely in the back.   He said they don't recommend the helmets often there, but that she is a pretty good candidate.  Not the news I was hoping to hear.   Obviously after going through this with Liam, I realize it's not that huge of a deal, but we feel like it kind of changed his pesonality somehow, although that is hard to explain.  It didn't suit him, I guess we shall say. He noticed it was there.  It bothered him.  He was 10 months old.  It was really low on his forehead.   It was summer, it was gross and sweaty.   Whatever.  It wasn't a fun time had by all, and it didn't help all that much.    Plus, it was expensive and not covered by insurance.  However, this time it would be.

 He said since she literally just learned to sit 2 weeks ago, that it would be reasonable to wait another month to see how all that extra time off her head is going to affect the shape.  We see the surgeon plus the peds plastic surgeon again on July 8th for their combined opinion.  So I'm hoping some miraculous things happen in the next month, but I'm guessing that won't happen!   She would have to wear the thing for 4 months, and the success rates aren't great at 8 months of age.  WTF?  Then why did it take so long to get in to see him, and when I expressed concern to the nurse about that, she said "Well, he doesn't recommend them much anyway, so don't worry".  Gotcha.  Glad that worked out so well.

She weighs 16.2 at 8 months, so quite the peanut compared to Jude, who easily must weigh 20 lbs and is outgrowing his car seat already!  Oy!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Crossing my fingers that maybe she won't need the helmet after all!

Jules said...

Oy is right! She can sleep sitting up, right? ;-)

Amber said...

There are no easy answers. Like you need one more thing to think about.... I hope she doesn't need a helmet! Sit Olive sit!!

Sally said...

Be a good girl and sit up lots and LOTS little Olive!!!