We had our additional u/s with the Peds Cardiologist today so he could get a good view of the 4 chambers of the heart. Apparently that is what they weren't able to see last week. This time the baby was head down, and gave them many more good views. They was one view they still weren't able to see though, and that is the space between the bottom 2 chambers. Apparently this can indidate there is a small hole there, which is apparently very common. He said about 80% of cases like this just resolve themselves. Evidently this "hole" is what can cause a heart murmur, which I was actually diagnosed with in Jr. High. Mine is just "low grade" though, so it's never been anything to worry about.
He wasn't able to make a definitive diagnosis of anything actually abnormal though, so he gave us a "normal" report. So that is good! At 21 weeks the heart is the size of a nickle, so it's pretty crazy that they are able to see so much detail regarding valves, blood flow, etc.
We asked if we could get another peek at the boy parts, and sure enough, it's definitely a boy! As the u/s tech said "the turtle is out to play today!" Heh; there was no mistaking the um, "turtle" between his legs!!
I asked if they could print more u/s pics for us, but they said they don't generally do that there. Boo! Oh well, we are just glad everything is normal and not in need of any additional monitoring.
7 comments:
Yay I'm glad the appt went well and everything looked normal. My nephew was born with a small hole that is supposed to resolve itself also. I think he has to get checked every few months (not sure how many I'm a bad Aunt). ;) But he's doing just fine! And yay for a BOY for sure!! Now you can buy lots of stuff and pick out names!!
Sounds like you had an awkward "turtle" of your own today ;) It's amazing that they could see so much of your baby boy's heart when it's only the size of a nickel. Glad you got a "normal" report.
I had a small hole, which caused a murmur, but went away after puberty. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I can't believe how much detail they can see when he's still so tiny!
I am so glad to hear that the appointment went well. That must make you feel a lot better. I can't believe the heart is the size of a nickel. That is crazy!
Glad to hear the turtle is still a turtle. ;)
Hooray for a normal report and an extra sighting of the boy parts! Have you starting thinking of names yet?
I am so glad the appt went well- I hope if there is a small hole it will resolve itself like the doc sys usually happens!!
I have been reading your 12dpo and your 14dpo posts from Sept every couple of days the last week! I'm praying so hard for a BFP tomorrow, but I don't have very many symptoms.. you give me hope!
Yea for everything being ok :)
Post a Comment