Okay, confession time; I have a really dumb question. Or at least I assume it's somewhat of a dumb question since everyone seems to have similar stories, and I am going to be a newbie at all of this.
So when you first have a newborn, I realize life is crazy hectic and not all all reminiscent of your previous daily routines. I get that you no longer have time for yourself, and normal daily grooming takes a backseat to just about everything else. But what I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is the lack of showering with new moms. I have read so many times now that new moms shower every 3 days if they're lucky, or every other day at best, etc. Now if these were single moms, I would totally undestand. But when there's an able-bodied partner onsite at least SOME of the day/night, how is there not time for a 5 minute shower while he/she watches the baby? Maybe I'm HORRIBLY naive, which is entirely possible, but I just don't get it. Now, I know some people simply don't care all that much about showers. My DH is one of them. On the weekends he'll get around to showering in the evening no matter what he's been up to during the day, including working out hard or summertime yardwork. He just doesn't really care if he's not going somewhere. I, on the other hand, need a shower to simply feel human. Now granted, I usually take one b/c I am leaving the house at some point to go somewhere, but STILL. I just need a shower. I feel gross. It helps me wake up. Etc Etc
So my question is this: do new moms *really* not have time for a 5 minute shower, or do they just not really care that much about it?
Hmmmm
10 comments:
I have no idea...I would think you'd get into a routine after a while where you and the hubs switch on and off. I would hope that showering for some moms is just waay down on the priority list and they don't mind not showering?
I showered...even with a c-section...you will make time especially if it relaxes you and makes you feel better. Now on the first day maybe not...you are tired and in the hospital its not as much of a priority, but as soon as I could I did and was able to on a regular basis :) Now it may not be exactly when you want to...but thats a different story.
I think you will have time for a shower especially with your DH there. Idk why you've read that about not showering for 3 days...I guess I've never read up much on newborns. I know for me I'd want a shower every day b/c I'd just feel gross.
I don't get this one either! LOL. I'm glad you asked the question! I refuse to leave the house un-showered. My husband is the same way. It annoys us to no-end the amount of people that show up to Starbucks on a weekend morning with bed head. Just nasty!
I plan on showering everyday with the baby. Notice I say "plan" I hope I'm not wrong!
I'm guessing if showering is important to you (I know it is to me!), you'll figure out a way to get it done.
I totally, totally agree. This is not a dumb question. I also hear that all the time, and I wonder, where are their husbands for 15 minutes a day? I don't care if it's first thing in the morning or the middle of the night, I really think I'll be one of those moms who can shower regularly even once my baby comes.
But, as you said, maybe we're just really naive. We'll find out!
I've always wondered this! It seems so strange to me.
With my first child it was sort of like that. i wouldn't go three days, but my routing got all out of whack. I think it's because I was SO tired that I'd fall out asleep when ever he took over for me. She was colicky though, so it wasn't easy.
I wondered about this, too. Although with quads I could see it getting rough. But I still feel like SURELY there has to be 5 minutes in there for a shower? Right? =)
Auntie Laura will come over to babysit so you can shower :)
Post a Comment